Because two of my friends are currently traipsing in Siem Reap, a place I truly love, I kinda thought of the following…
Tips for the first time international traveler:
1) There is more to traveling than spending time at the local shops/markets/malls. Absorb the energy around you. Absorb the history of a place. Learn about people. Learn about yourself.
2) Of course, it’s nice to brag about where you currently are. But posting pics on Instagram/FB/Twitter/Foursquare/Tumblr/etc can wait. Don’t waste good sightseeing time by burying your nose in your phone-tab worrying about which pics to post. Same goes for checking in.
3) DO NOT CONVERT CURRENCIES! If you keep doing that, you’ll end up hungry. For everything.
4) Dress appropriately.
5) Do not believe everything you read in the internet. However, do research the facts. It could save your ass.
6) It is helpful to ask for advise especially from someone who has been there before you. And unless that person is your adversary, trust his/her words.
Happy travels! 🙂